Topband: Verifying integrity of 75 ohm coax.

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Sun Nov 24 09:01:51 EST 2013

Thanks for your thoughts on this. But all this tells me is that some
silicone dielectric greases may not be abrasive. I am certain that some
are, because I am not the only one who has experienced this.

The stuff I used was either from Radio Shack or an automotive parts store.
It was in a small gray squeeze tube. IIRC, the brand was Permatex, but I am
not 100% certain. (In my last post, I stated it was labeled "silicone
dielectric grease", but that may be wrong; it may have had "tune-up grease"
on the tube.

Clear liquid silicone oil is not the same as the translucent grease. People
have successfully used silicone oil as a lubricant for many decades.

And what kind of silver-plated rotary meter switches needed silicone grease
in order to make them last? That's puzzling. Was it grease or oil?

At any rate, silicone dielectric compound is certainly very useful in
connectors. I used to tag along with a friend of mine who worked for
Buckeye Cablevision years ago on service calls. Many of the problems were
caused by F connectors that did NOT contain the grease (Dow Corning 5
compound).

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com