Topband: Connector grease

n0tt1 at juno.com n0tt1 at juno.com
Sun Nov 24 20:59:36 EST 2013

> I would not use petroleum jelly on any electrical connector,
> especially to
> flood it. That is bad advice, no matter what source recommends it.
>
> I also would not fill or flood a high power transmitting connector
> with
> anything, even pure silicon dielectric compounds that are engineered
> for
> electrical applications. I especially would not use some crude
> hydrocarbon
> based grease that liquefies at low temperatures (I think around
> 100F)  and
> spews flammable vapors that attacks rubbers and some plastics.

I've never had medical grade petroleum jelly attack any connectors....
that's not saying it won't, it's just that I've never had an issue with
it.
OTOH, I've had clear "silicone grease" attack electrical connectors such
as
"Jones plugs" and the like.  The "plastic" insulation, probably Bakelite,

in those plugs would develop a dead short with only ~12V DC
across the pins in just a few months!!  I say that from experience
from a late 1960's mobile radio shop.  Maybe that's why I've
avoided the use of silicone *in* any connectors.

73, Charlie