Topband: CONNECTOR GREASE

wb6tza wb6tza at socal.rr.com
Mon Nov 25 10:20:13 EST 2013

I have a mostly similar background and experience,  2way radio and silicone grease,  except,  they learned.  At 400 mhz and higher,  flooding an N connector with silicone greade (dow #4) introduces a significant and reasonably easily measured impedance bump.  For the last couple of decades   the Andrew connector and antenna installation procedures specifically caution against getting the provided grease on the inside of the connector,  and they privide superior methods of sealing a connector,  significantly more elaborate than most would choose to bother with for Topband , especially in small connectors

I also subscribe to the philosophy that its better to have a small impedance bump than even a tiny amount of moisture ingress.

At Topband, silicone grease flooding any connector potentially subject to moisture ingress is far superior to fixing water damage,  and has zero risk of arc or flash over path.

It remains best to seal all connectors so water CAN NOT get in in the first place.

For conventional connectors,  from typeF through UHF and N to DIN,  shrink boot the back of each connector,  atttach them to spec tightness,  then a single TIGHT layer of regular tape (33 class) then wrap with a liberal layer of thick sealant like coax seal,  be sure to extend it out to the cable jacket on both sides,  then a layer or two of tape to hold the sealant in place and protect it from its environment,

That will not leak.   If water gets inside,  it will have wicked down the inside of the coax from a broken point in the jacket (which is why you want to use flooded RG6,  and direct burial rated cable)

Make your own variations,  but this process is what is currently recommended for heliax and foam/braid cables by the manufacturers

Robin,  WA6CDR