Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorterversions??

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Tue Oct 1 09:53:25 EDT 2013

I learned the hard way with a 5/8 wave insulated self standing tower on
to band is basically useless for DX work compared to a standard  1/4 or
3/8 wave vertical radiator.  As Tom so knowledgeably pointed sending
radiation close to the ground is not helpful except perhaps for a tall
tower AM station.  If you have this kind of height available for
broadcast then a folded Franklin may make more sense.   But one of the
basic rules of non-Maxwell physics, that so far no one has been able to
disprove, and remains an undeniable truth for topbanders:  That which
work best on 160, works!   Now try that one on for size.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ