Topband: Best Outlet sttrip

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Oct 8 10:28:11 EDT 2013

On 10/6/2013 7:04 AM, Dan Bookwalter wrote:
> I am in need of a couple outlet strips for the shack , what is the best option out there that is not overly expensive

Most branded outlet strips have MOVs for "surge suppression."  MOVs on
branch circuits are well known to CAUSE destructive failure of equipment
powered from these outlets when there are interconnections between that
equipment and equipment powered from other outlets. The only good place
for MOVs is at the service entraince (that is, where power enters your
home).

The "best" outlet strip is something we can all easily build with parts
from Home Depot or Lowe's. We need duplex outlets, gangable steel
backboxes, some wire, and a coverplate. Don't buy the cheap duplex
outlets for a buck apiece, buy the better ones.

73, Jim K9YC