Topband: The Stew Perry Warmup

James Rodenkirch rodenkirch_llc at msn.com
Sat Oct 19 08:18:50 EDT 2013

Bill:  I'll be in it as a QRP entry and just can't wait for later this afternoon to roll around. With a simplistic single band rig, designed by Steve Weber, KD1JV, I won't have the needed filtering to keep the "big boys" from overloading my rcvr front end so, occasionally, I'll need to QSY up the band to find a quiet spot to call CQ....with QRP power, I may not "hold the frequency" but at least, as evidenced in previous Stew events, I do get some calls.
Was experimenting with 3 watts out the other morning --- worked a K4 in AR ---- what a hoot to reach that far with 3 watts on Top Band...may be an indicator of fair to middlin band conditions.
Hope to hear and work lots of youz during this fun Pre-Stew event.
72, Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV