Topband: Antenna switch rating for high SWR?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sun Oct 20 12:57:58 EDT 2013

> I know that T/R switches inside amps are fairly small in physical
> size, however they are designed to operate into a fairly low SWR
> load. I have no idea of what rating of a DPDT switch I would need
> (per the diagram) in my application - perhaps I'm making a bigger
> deal of something that isn't so critical.?

Fire up ELNEC or your favorite modelling software and run your
specific combination of flat-top length/height and feeder length
to find out what the voltage and current are at the input of the
feed line.  That will tell you what you need for the relay.

Remember, you can use *TWO* high voltage/high current "contactors"
and mount them on Lexan or similar non-conducting surface to increase
the voltage to ground rating if necessary.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV