Topband: FW: Nested Loops with one feedline results

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Mon Sep 2 19:32:52 EDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Charlie Cunningham [mailto:charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com]
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2013 7:21 PM
To: 'herbs at vitelcom.net'
Subject: RE: Topband: Nested Loops with one feedline results

Hi, Herb

Well, the quad was built in "delta" fashion, and I just brought all the
delta drivers together at a common feed-point at the bottom of the driver
array. That resulted in Deltas that were somewhat reduced height for 12 and
10m. The elements do interact a bit, and I just spent a lot of time
adjusting the dimensions for gain, VSWR and a little fit for F/B. Net result
was great. I did most of that work IN EZNEC.

BTW - one "bugaboo" that you may have to contend with, is that your 160
delta will approach 2-wavelengths on 80m and can really screw up the pattern
on 80m. That was a problem for me with 20 and 10m and is not directly
related to the single feedline. The way that I solved it was to reduce t.he
dimensions of t.he 20m delta to less than 2 wavelengths on 10m, and I then
added horizontal wires at the ends of the 20m driver and reflector deltas to
bring them back to resonance. When building the antenna, I adjusted the
horizontal wires with a  well calibrated Millen grid dipper that I kept an
eye on with the FT-1000MP. Usiln split bolts while tuning the elements makes
things a lot easier. Then solder them when everything is tuned up! :-)

Regards,
Charlie, K4OTV