Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

Mike Armstrong armstrmj at aol.com
Fri Sep 6 17:54:56 EDT 2013

Guy, I was right across from the small marina you see.  The difference I am talking about is the difference between a 5/8ths wave vertical and a quarter wave vertical in the same place.  I am not talking about the difference between a vertical next to the sea as compared to a vertical in Arizona...... two different comparisons and I am thinking you are thinking the latter..... :)

I was responding to Tom saying that a 5/8ths wave doesn't work well on 160, when a ground mounted 5/8 worked so much better than a quarter wave in the same place (relatively speaking). I had both operational at thr same time and would detune them when I used the other...... Again, I was wondering if Tom could explain why it is such a crappy antenna on 160, but a great antenna (when compared to a quarter wave at the same location) when it is on 20 meters.  NOT the difference between two antennas in two different geographical locations...... :)

Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka