Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

Mike Armstrong armstrmj at aol.com
Sat Sep 7 08:28:04 EDT 2013

Charlie, just to complete my thought..... Yes, I would use something along the lines of a gamma feed to a grounded tower.  There are probably better matching techniques, but that would certainly be a start.  I have to admit, though, that I have never tried the whole idea with a tower because I never owned one that was tall enough :) :)

This topic sure has generated some discussion, that's for sure.  Also, Tom answered back with some of what I was wondering about..... Extremely low angles of radiation on 160 are not good, apparently.  Forcing the main lobe lower will definitely cause more ground loss and 160 seems to be more sensitive to ground losses than the higher bands.  That is certainly an important thought and I have seen the concept on the higher bands.  Strangely enough, 20 meters seems to be one band where it doesn't matter if you ground mount or elevate (ground plane).  The lower angles of radiation are very much desired on that band..... forcing the main lobe lower doesn't seem to have any negative effect, but rather definitely appears to improve the situation on that band...... at least from my own experience, which is rather substantial on that particular band.  The same cannot be said for 15/10.  Those bands DEFINITELY prefer an elevated vertical radiator.  Ground mounting, even with an extensive radial field, on those upper bands is a loser..... unless you have sea water underneath the antenna, of course.  So it may well be that 20 just happened to be the band where those collinear (Paul Lee's antenna in his book) and 5/8ths wave on the ground, with a decent radial field, work well.  Like I said in another email, my experience with the 5/8 vertical here in AZ is almost what it was in Hawaii...... but I do have more than the average amount of radials underneath it and it is possible that my land just happens to contain a higher salt content. AZ is famous for that in places...... I might just be lucky.  Even 1/4 wave verticals work well on my property, but the 5/8ths is a definite improvement over them.  Side by side comparisons are easier here than they were to set up in Hawaii because my back yard was shared with other neighbors in military housing.  Kids around, too..... had to make sure they wouldn't make contact with the radiators live :) :)

Anywho...... that is all I have on the subject.  I wish I had, at the time, the measuring equipment to truly test the antennas out there on Oahu (Iroquois Point military housing).  Instead, as I  more than once mentioned, I had to count on anecdotal/subjective evidence from my system "users."  But like I mentioned, when I first changed over to the 5/8 wave, I was getting emails from my system users (sailboat guys mainly) out in WestPac that were unsolicited and quite glowing.  Of course, the sea water didn't hurt, but you have to keep in mind that the 1/4 wave that I replaced was also over that same sea water, so the improvement didn't have anything to do with the seawater itself because that was the same for both antennas...... as was the radial field.  I have to say, it was gratifying to know that a small change (and it really wasn't any harder to erect than any other vertical) made such a large difference.  I DID forget to mention that from that point forward  I didn't have to turn on the full-gallon amplifier except when conditions were particularly bad...... which was easy to detect with throughput reports..... I could start it up remotely from my office at SUBPAC via a packet link (I had a straight shot to my house from where my office was located) or via telephone modem (MAN, that was a long time ago..... he he he). So I wouldn't hurt the guys using my system if I didn't happen to be present when conditions went south.

I sure did have fun with that setup...... Providing that service for Sailors was a ton of fun and THEY certainly seemed to appreciate it.  Whenever any of them pulled into Alawai or the Iroquois Point marina that was directly across the street from my house, they would immediately invite my family to dinner or a luau or whatever they had going on.  Made alot 'o friends with that system.  LOL.

Have a terrific weekend, my friend!
Mike AB7ZU

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka