Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Sat Sep 7 15:04:06 EDT 2013

Subject: Re: Topband: Are stacked verticals feasible?

> Gee, I wonder if Carl had any idea what a "catfight" he was going to
> start,
> when he began this thread?

** Nope but what dissapoints me is that no one has modeled this and one just
tells past tales of irrelevant attempts at doing something not related.
As I said at the very beginning this was posted just as an exercise. But if
someone wants to model it assume a 400' tower or higher for 160, 200' + for
80 and even 40. All with the same 12' spacing from the tower.

> For my money, if I had enough support height to support two 1/4 wave
> ground
> planes, one above the other, I'd install a vertical 1/2 wave dipole and
> get
> the current maximum higher above ground to reduce the ground losses. No
> radials required!

** And no improvement if still hanging from the same tower which may or may
not ruin the performance.
At a past QTH I had a 100' shunt fed tower on 160 that was resonant at
around 1400kHz due to the top loading of stacked 10-15-20M 4 el yagis.
Hanging from the same tower was a 80M delta loop, vertically polarized, and
about 6' from the tower that matched as predicted, worked very well to the
point of enabling me to confirm the first 5BWAZ from New England as well as
winning the US in DX contests.

> But I think Carl's proposed location for the vertical elements 6-12' from
> the tower face is way too close especially for 160 or 80 meters!  Not
> likely
> to be a good  radiator with a desirable pattern, I expect. Furthermore,
> the
> electrical height of the tower would play a very significant role!
>
> 73,
> Charlie, K4OTV

** Have you modeled the pattern distortion of a 12 to 18" non resonant tower
at various spacings and different bands Charlie?

Trying to confuse the issue by using 2M doesnt work either as now the tower
face is a significant part of a wavelength and in fact just about 1/4 wave
for Rohn 45/55 tower.

My own tower has no RF ground as all guys are broken up and the base sits on
a pier pin.

Anybody else have something to offer...on the subject matter please.

Carl
KM1H