Topband: WLW

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Tue Sep 17 06:55:09 EDT 2013

Ditto what Clay wrote about Barry's informative topband presentations at our
local club meetings in Joliet, Illinois.  During my junior high school
years, I happened to live a short distance from the monthly meeting place
and often either walked or rode my bicycle to attend the local meetings,
weather permitting.  Barry is blessed with the gift of having exceptional
public speaking skills.

Regarding WLW: the Mason transmitter site is half the story.  The other half
is still visible today to the west of I-75, just north of Cincinnati in the
Camp Washington neighborhood.  The old WLW studios and Crosley manufacturing
facility rise high above the interstate and a real sense of history can be
gleaned when exiting off Hopple Street.  The WLW building is located near
the intersection of Colerain Ave. and Sassafras St.  One telltale sign that
you have the right structure can be evidenced by the Morse code displayed on
the art-deco fashioned building top.  The building is in very poor condition
today and hasn't been occupied with any business or storage activity for
about ten years.  On the southwest building floor is a large loading dock
that faces a set of rail tracks that, at one time many decades ago, must
have seen a very high volume of traffic as thousands of Crosley sets were
shipped to dealers around the world.  The building is not long for this
world.  If you have an interest in WLW and Crosley's history, I encourage
you to take a short drive to the south of Mason and experience the building
before it's gone.

Paul, W9AC