Topband: WLW

Mark Connelly markwa1ion at aol.com
Tue Sep 17 16:35:03 EDT 2013

The Saudi Arabia 1521 recordings were made from the car at local MA beach sites with a Drake R8A receiver and a loop antenna on the car roof.

The "magic bullets" for good reception are:
(a) Select a site with salt water and a clear horizon view towards what you want to hear.  Poor ground (rocks, sand, hills/mountains, tall buildings/vegetation) towards side and rear interference directions can help too.
(b) Stay away from power lines.
(c) Do most listening to the east at sunset before interference from the west builds up.
(d) Look at the weather maps to make sure any lightning is a long way off.

Propagation certainly factors in too.  There are times when the US East Coast path to Europe / Middle East is dead but you get a good run at South America and perhaps deep Africa.  The same phenomenon is also noted on Topband of course.

Nowadays I am using a Perseus SDR receiver on these seaside listening sessions,
<http://microtelecom.it/perseus/>.

The ability to store spectrum for later playback is the obvious killer-app with that.

The latest car roof receiving antenna implementation is shown here:
<http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/loop/car_roof_loop.htm>

For 160m, I would advise a larger size antenna than the 2m by 2m square one I use on the car.  You're dealing with smaller signals: sub-100 watt up to 1.5 kW stations instead of multi-kilowatt up to megawatt-plus ones you'd find on the AM broadcast band.

The advantages on 160: higher (more "shortwave-like") frequency, less interference (except during contests / pile-ups), and the great signal-to-noise advantage of CW versus AM or even SSB.

Some of my broadcast band recordings may be accessed from <http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/dx_audio.htm> for anyone who's interested.  A number of DXers of that frequency range are very interested in design and homebrew of antenna and receiver accessories; some have done complete receiver designs-and-builds.

Many of these listener-DXers are also hams and find much in common technically with what's developed for 160m, 600m, and other LF/MF bands.  ON4UN's books and W8JI's website are well known.

As the selection of New England / Atlantic Canada reports below shows, many broadcasters make it across the Atlantic to US and Canadian listeners, at least when good locations (coastal typically), antennas, and receivers are put to use by those who know what they're doing.
<http://www.bamlog.com/peidxped.htm>
<http://www.naswa.net/badx/dxclams2009.htm>
<http://realmonitor.com/Quoddy_Head_DXpedition.pdf>
<http://www.dxing.info/equipment/new_active_mw_antennas.pdf>
<http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/newfoundland_09log.dx>

Many more reports can be found via links from <http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/> and <http://www.bamlog.com/#Section5>.

The idea here is that, even if you have little interest in broadcast-band DX as a standalone hobby, checking that frequency range does offer propagational clues that can help coordinating 160-m operation, antenna design, location evaluation, and so on.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, Cape Cod, MA, USA