Topband: Measuring Vertical input parameters while installing radials

Eduardo Araujo er_araujo at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 20 08:31:47 EDT 2013

Hi friends,
                I finished sending the measurements data to all that requested it. In case somebody didn´t receive it yet, please let me know.

Even though I did not mention it before, I also have Field Strength measurement synchronized in time with the AIM measurements.

As surely this was not a professional procedure, I will explain how I did it and you may judge if it is useful for you or not.

- I installed 2 verticals antennas 3 mts long, at about 300-350 meters from the tower base in two opposite directions. So measurement was done at ground level.
- I did not tuned up the elements in any way, they were connected to the FS instrument directly and as ground connection I used a 50 cm aluminum pipe buried in the ground

- As a FS meter I used a DIGI - FIELD from IC- Engineering

- First 2 radials were installed more or less in the direction of the RX verticals
- From there, they were installed consecutive in counter-clock wise. (look from above)
- I used 20W at 1840 during daylight, and matched the antenna input for every change in radial number. I used an MFJ-962B for this purpose.
- After all readings were done, I calibrate the readings against an HP-8640B signal to visualize which was the change in db

Botton line - the measured change at ground level between 2 and 114 radials was between 5.2 in one direction and 5.8 db to the other.

I understand this is not a professional procedure nor professional equipment and it was done having fun enjoying the hobby.

I will like to hear from you your thought about if this kind of measurement done at ground level and at that distance from the antenna base has a correlation to actual radiated Field at the maximum vertical azimuth of the vertical whichever it is.
And, also, How the procedure or elements I used could be improved ....still within amateur measurement accuracy and not professional level.

'73 to all..... Eddie, LU2DKT