Topband: Double L antenna as an alternative for the radial-challenged?

Andreas Hofmann Andreas.Hofmann at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 24 14:24:25 EDT 2013

Hi,

I am looking into what it would take to put a decent 160m antenna up.  I got many large trees, but also rather thick woods, and the radials are always something that I do not enjoy much. Also, I cannot see myself to do 16 radials. 4 elevated radials may be tough as well.  Terrain is just not as easy to get around.

Now, I am looking at options that do not require radials and still have a decent radiation angle for DX.  I am looking at this antenna http://www.yccc.org/Articles/double_l.htm, the double L antenna.  Has anyone experience with it?  What is the pattern of it and can it be compared to a quarter wave vertical?  I would assume since it somehow resembles a vertical dipole and therefore does not require any radials, that its efficiency should be much better than a quarter wave vertical with less than adequate number of radials...  Are my assumptions correct, and are there any other gotchas?

Thanks and cu soon on topband
Andy,
KU7T