Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorterversions??

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 26 13:06:23 EDT 2013

Hi Herb.

I'll bet that 1/2 wave sloper worked great!  When this thread got started, I
modeled several verticals in EZNEC from 1/4 wave to 5/8 wave in height. I
sent the plots around to folks that were interested via e-mail. Couldn't
post them here on the reflector. At the request of Carl, KM1H,I also modeled
the 3/8 wave case.
The 3/8 wave vertical was, indeed an excellent antenna, according to the
models, as was the 1/2 wave vertical. At 5/8 wave, though high-angle lobes
appear with some dips in the elevation pattern.  I would expect that one
might get an acceptable match to a 3/8 wave vertical with a simple series
capacitor and a perfect match with a series C and a shunt C.

73,
Charlie, K4OTV