Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorter versions??

Niko Cimbur ac6dd at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 28 13:45:41 EDT 2013

>>??? ______________ >Note that for 1 kW of applied power, the maximum inverse distance field 1
>mile from a 5/8-wave vertical is 275 mV/m compared to 195 mV/m from a
>1/4-wave vertical. >The difference is 20log(275/195) = 2.99 dB, which supports the point of my
>post.
Sure, over perfect ground the 5/8 wl has 3db more gain at 0 degrees elevation..

You are talking about theoretical gain.  I am talking about real world experience.

Even if you have access to a location surrounded by Saltwater (like me) the max gain of a real 5/8 wl vertical over 1/4 wl is going to be about 2.2 dB,and the elevation angle 5 degrees, the vertical beamwidth 17 degrees.
Over Average ground - which was where we set up the two verticals in the first place,
the gain of a 5/8 wl is some 2dB less than the 1/4 wl vertical, the main lobe at 15 deg, and the BW 23 deg.
The 1/4 wl main lobe is at 26 deg with BW 42 deg!
After having said that if I only could put up one antenna I would choose an Inverted L over salt water (again).
Niko AC6DD