Topband: 1000 feet 5/8" hardline or 600ohm True Ladder lin

k1fz k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Tue Apr 29 14:06:16 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Brown" <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: Topband: 1000 feet 5/8" hardline or 600ohm True Ladder lin

 Exactly right -- it's because the current is much smaller for the same
 power.

Correct Jim.

With an RF amp meter  5.477 amps squared times 50 ohm coax equals
1499.8764 watts

With 1.8 amps squared times 450 ohms  the power is 1458 watts

Higher impedance,  higher voltage,  lower current.

Its the currents that limits the wire handling capacity.

Power companies tranform to a very high voltage for their cross country
lines
to minmize current loss.

They also call their cross country wires  'transmission lines' and their end
transformers are
wound for 60 Hz

Milt paralled two 75 ohm coaxes to get half the impedance for his vertical
antenna base impedance.
Match the impedance -lower loss.

I run three in line vertical antennas on 80 meters.  The current requires is
a 1-2-1 ratio. I use one 75 ohm coax to
towers 1 and 3. Tower 2 has paralleled 75 ohm coaxes to get half the
impedance and twice the current. A common practice.
Exact currents and phase are controlled with tuning networks using a
Nems-Clark model 108-E monitor.

As you said Jim, not new information,  most of this goes back to the
beginning days of radio

73,
Bruce-K1FZ
www.qsl.net/k1fz/pennantnotes.html