Topband: Rig Comparisons

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Sun Aug 3 21:18:31 EDT 2014

I think it depends on how much of the "r" in "sdr" is "sd".  The k3 does all the baseband modulation/demodulation in DSP, but has a pretty conventional IF path. Some people consider the K3 an SDR because it doesn't have a conventional analog modulation/demodulation stage and uses the DSP for more than just simple filtering functions in the audio stages.

Personally, for me, it's not an SDR unless it just digitizes everything that it down converts and has final selectivity in the IF implemented entirely in DSP (ie no crystal filters and the like) Basically, there needs to be an ADC running in the mega sample per second range digitizing a wide swath of spectrum for me to consider something an SDR, but others seem to be more lenient with their definitions ;-)

-Bill

Sent from my iPad