Topband: Ferrite Cores

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Aug 4 18:28:50 EDT 2014

On 8/4/2014 2:54 PM, Hugh Valentine wrote:
> K9YC touts the benefits of the 2.4" O.D.  Mix #31 Core.
> Anyone know a good source?

Last winter, I bought nearly 1,000 cores from Dexter Magnetics, near
Chicago. Good service. Use the part numbers in Appendix One of my
tutorial. They're an industrial vendor, don't know their minimum order.
When you call for a quote, ask what the quantity is for the next price
break.

On 8/4/2014 3:03 PM, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> Not sure if I'd get in trouble for publishing it

Why should you? Last I looked, Amidon was quite expensive.
> (I remember when I got chewed out here for suggesting Laird/Steward equivs).

Steward makes equivalents for some ferrite materials, but Fair-Rite's
#31 mix is fairly new, and last I looked, there were no equivalents.  A
big part of the problem is getting good data -- Fair-Rite has some of
the best data I've ever seen for passive components, so you know what
you're getting.

73, Jim K9YC