Topband: Ferrite Cores

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Aug 5 12:25:23 EDT 2014

On 8/5/2014 7:46 AM, Greg wrote:
> The Mouser part picture does not look like a FT-240-31.

The FT-series of part numbers are PHONY part numbers,  dreamed up many
years ago by vendors who have sold them to hams for very high prices.
The ACTUAL part number for a #31 2.4-in o.d. toroid, as defined by
Fair-Rite, the company that MAKES these parts, is 2631803802.  You will
find that part number in Appendix One of my tutorial.  Kits and Parts is
one of those high price vendors. Amidon may have been the originator of
this scam. Palomar and DXE are in that league as well. They created
these phony baloney numbers so that you wouldn't find the part from a
real industrial vendor at one third the price.

73, Jim K9YC