Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach

W9UCW--- via Topband topband at contesting.com
Tue Aug 12 00:17:03 EDT 2014

I can only offer another anecdotal account to the subject. It started  44
years ago when I, Steve, K9CQV (K0SX), Ken, W0KUS, and  Julius, K8HKB set up
shop on San Andres Island and signed our calls  portable HK0 for a week.
With the help of Victor, HK0AI we had a location at the  water's edge. We
erected our 43 foot top loaded "Minooka Special" there with the  aluminum
"dynamite blasting wire" radials draped off into the water. We ran  Drake twins and
were amazed the reports from around the world and during the  CQWW 160 CW
contest. We even ran a number of phone patches on 160  for islanders from
that location.

Subsequently, I set up in a number of other  locations on San Andres over
the next 20 years using several HK0 calls. I never  saw the same kind of
success as that first trip until I located a palm tree  supported Minooka
Special at the Bahia Marina near San Luis town, again at the  water's edge. It
made a believer out of me. For a few of those years I operated  at HK0BKX.
Pacho's location was downtown on the north end of the island, blocks  from the
sea. It was like pulling teeth to get good reports on 160 from his  place.

Nevertheless, those are all fond memories. Pacho  finally came to the
states and operated in Rose Pine, Louisiana as W5/HK0BKX for  a few years. He
passed away about 15 years ago. He and I made a number of jaunts  together to
islands and Mainland Colombia. Ham Radio always played a part in  those
trips, but most of the wild stories I could tell about them had nothing to  do
radio or verticals on the beach. Don't ask.

73, Best DX, Barry, W9UCW