Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Aug 12 20:14:09 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yuri Blanarovich" <k3bu at optimum.net>
To: <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:50 PM
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

> Oh, here comes the "guru" again. :-)

Is that immature stuff really necessary?

> Unnecessary debate? We are talking about experiences and RESULTS of
> comparing normal in land "ground" effect vs. salt water beach or marshes.
> We are commenting on the benefit of immediate proximity of salt water to
> antenna performance, especially on low angles.
> K3BU and others found out that it is not "feeling," but S-meter readings
> in order of 10 - 20 dB (RX and TX!) in favor of salty beach. It is like
> driving inside into the amplifier

Perhaps you can explain why VOA and others willingly gave up that 10-20 dB,
and how K3LR and W3LPL do so well inland, when they pay a 10-20 dB penalty
for communications?

One would think if there was a 10-20 db penalty, it would show on skimmers
and that W2GD would be unbeatable being on the water. I'm sure I'm missing
something. What is it I am missing?

Thanks, Tom