Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Aug 14 19:06:44 EDT 2014

I looked at comparative data from four or five contests.

I'm too far out of the path and in distance (approaching 1000 miles
different) to compare, but I was still interested in how others in the NE
compared.

If it was really 10-20 dB, shore locations would stand out like a sore thumb
compared to inland locations. Everyone from around New England is about the
same. Heck, K3LR is on the Ohio/PA border and does just as well or better
than coastal stations in signal levels.

10 dB is completely undoable with antenna systems, once someone is at the 10
dB threshold of gain over a dipole at optimal height (except on 160 where
polarization is a player, and we have to compare vertical to vertical). 20
dB would be beyond the world of magic.

Understand I'm not saying there isn't a difference. I'm just saying it isn't
an exaggerated difference that jumps out in the ways we use our systems.

Watch skimmer yourself. It is entertaining to watch.

73 Tom