Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

Juan EA5RS ea5rs at ono.com
Sun Aug 17 05:47:16 EDT 2014

Thank you for the reference Paul.

Regarding the quote by N4ZR stating:
"I had earlier understood that SNR was calculated in a relatively short interval just before the spot was sent to the Telnet server.  Turns out that the calculation is based on data collected in the 50-Hz decoder channel for about 45 seconds up to the moment when the spot is validated and forwarded to the Telnet server"

I just rechecked with a copy of Skimmer v1.8 and a recorded audio snippet with my call and found that is not the case with my setup, I cannot speak for others.
With a clean Skimmer program start, it sent out a spot after two instances of my callsign sent at 34 wpm, that is after less than three seconds of signal sampling.
I repeated this same experiment five times, same behavior every time. Reported SNRs varied from 19 dB to 22 dB. The input to the soundcard is the same recorded audio signal.

73