Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

k1fz k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Sun Aug 17 15:49:30 EDT 2014

Years ago when I was working the 80 meter DX from the mobile, beyond working
VK6LK long path, I was checking out salt water locations.

I found that the closer I got to the East facing salt water, the stronger
Europe-Africa received signals. Getting right up to the water edge was
noticeable better than 10 feet away.  The truck body capacity to the wet
Earth below also had to be a factor.

 Like with the SWL/ham DXers guys, there were variables.

If you want to get the straight first hand information, I recommend taking
your vehicle to the sea side. Tune the AM radio to around 1500 to 1700 KHZ.,
Find some stations from across the sea. and find out for yourself.
Vertical signals travel in the direction(s) of best conductivity

Still time to take that vacation to the coast

.

73
Bruce-K1FZ

 Here are a few conclusions:

 * The advantages of being at the shore are substantial in the
 pre-sunset period along east-facing shorelines and post-sunrise along
 west-facing shorelines.  Saudi Arabia 1521 (2 megawatts) can be heard
 up to 4 hours pre-sunset in autumn / winter right at the shore in New
 England and Atlantic Canada, even with modest antennas.  At sites even
 just 10 miles (16 km) inland, two hours pre-sunset is about as good as
 you get on similar "compromise" antennas.  Here's a typical
 Massachusetts coast recording of the 1521 flamethrower:
 "
 Mark Connelly, WA1ION
 South Yarmouth, MA