Topband: Skimmer calibration

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Aug 18 14:25:37 EDT 2014

Since no one likely knows the gain of a reference antenna within a dB or so,
splitting hairs doesn't matter.

Ten dB would jump right out, while 3 dB might get lost in the QSB.

When I was comparing high dipoles to verticals on 160, I collected reports
for about a year. It was thousands of reports.

I probably could have done it in a week or two with skimmer, but then I
would have had to repeat it for seasonal changes. I'm sure a good test
protocol using skimmer could be worked out.