Topband: Skimmer calibration

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Aug 20 12:05:58 EDT 2014

I said:

>> That just isn't factual at all. Radials under the vertical antenna have
>> virtually no effect on wave angle unless they are sparse and grossly
>> unbalanced, allowing them to radiate like a low horizontal antenna.
>>
>> Radials change the efficiency, not the pattern, unless the radials
>> radiate like a dipole.
>>
>> 73 Tom
>

> Note that I didnt say anything about changing the pattern, just the energy
> included at low angles and where the efficiency starts at the base and at
> the often poorly understood Fresnel Zone if you really want more power in
> those low angles and not heating worms or sand granules.

That, by definition, is a pattern change.

You said it improves groundwave. What you think happen just does not happen.

It improves efficiency. It does not change elevation pattern, it does not
change Fresnel zone losses significantly. It does not improve groundwave any
significant amount more than it changes sky wave.

This is because the "often poorly understood" Fresnel zone extends far
beyond practical radial field area, and virtually all of the ground wave
attenuation from soil losses is miles from the antenna over the entire long
length of a path. It is not localized loss.

73 Tom