Topband: ARRL 160m contest and DX Window?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Dec 1 11:24:05 EST 2014

> The ARRL 160 meter contest is this weekend. I know there has been a lot of
> controversy in the past about the 1830 to 1835 segment (the so-called "DX
> Window").
>
> I understand that if I am in the USA, the right thing to do is to NOT park
> in that window and call CQ (but I can answer a CQ from a DX station on
> another continent or island). The rule at http://www.arrl.org/160-meter
> simply states "*6.1. *The segment 1.830 to 1.835 should be used for
> intercontinental QSOs only."

The rules are vague, but common sense and good manners seem to dictate not
parking in the window and calling CQ or running contacts. This way other
stations in poorer locations or with smaller stations could have more fun,
and more DX might show up.

Usually well equipped or located stations have no problem running DX out of
that area, so I assume most who park there are little pistols who only hurt
other fellow little pistols.

(This contest already discourages DX, and is more like a USA based thing
like sweepstakes, so the more we encourage DX operation by making more
states or sections available for the DX to work the better for everyone.)

73 Tom