Topband: Restistance of wire

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Dec 3 14:36:30 EST 2014

 >  I square R loss is low as signal current is very low.

Thinking I^2 R with low current (because of being in a small signal
application)  might mislead us. The absolute value of current would just
tell us conductor heat, if we actually knew RF resistance (which is always
higher than dc resistance) and current.

RF losses are best measured, because loss involves:

1.)  RF conductor resistance
2.) dielectric losses
3.) system impedances

We can use a high resistance wire if it is in a high impedance system, like
a 600 ohm single wire Beverage.

We might have problems if it is in a low impedance system, like a
transmission line, depending on impedances along the transmission line.

73 Tom