Topband: EZNEC 5.0 +

Richard Fry rfry at adams.net
Fri Dec 5 18:54:43 EST 2014

>We can have 67% reflected power and still have nearly 100% of transmitter
>power getting into the antenna and being radiated.

Then could someone please explain why the manufacturers of ham, broadcast
AM/FM/TV, and other transmitters specify the maximum SWR (e.g., minimum
return loss) for the loads they may drive at full, rated output power (no
foldback)?

If "nearly 100%" of the r-f power output of such transmitters was radiated
by the antenna system regardless its VSWR/return loss, what would be the
need for such OEMs to specify a maximum load SWR?

R. Fry