Topband: EZNEC 5.0 +

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Fri Dec 5 19:30:18 EST 2014

Well, I would respectfully disagree with Tom, that "Return Loss" is
confusing or ,misleading. It's just another way of looking at reflections
that often makes more sense of is more useful. For example, many filters
etc. are specified in terms of their input return loss, usually in a 50 ohm
system,and engineers working in the lab with vector network analyzers
measure most all input matches in terms of return loss.

On a Smith Chart, return-loss is a radially scaled parameter, as is VSWR.
The origin of the chart, at a perfect match would be the 1:1 VSWR point,or
the infinite return loss point. Conversely, the perimeter of the chart
corresponds to 0 return loss or infinite VSWR.

EZNEC and network analyzers tend to express things in terms of return-loss,
although VSWR is also available. For modeling in EZNEC and tuning or
sweeping your antenna models,you want to MAXIMIZE return loss and MINIMIZE
VSWR- it's the same thing.

As an example to illustrate Tom's point. IF we fed a resonant 1/2 Wave
dipole at its center, with 600 ohm open-wire line, the VSWR on the feedline
would approach 10:1, but there would be almost no loss in the feedline and
virtually 100% of the incident power would be radiated by the antenna. The
challenge would be to match the transmitter to whatever values of R+JX
presented themselves at the sending end of the line.

Have fun with EZNEC!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV