Topband: Quality of RBN data

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Dec 7 11:31:15 EST 2014

Just to add a bit to understanding of how CQ Skimmer and Skimmer Server
work to measure SNR. The SNR for a given spot is measured over a 50 Hz
bandwidth in the moment when Skimmer decides that the spot should be
posted to Telnet. It is true that this value could, conceivably, reflect
a strong signal arriving exactly on frequency within a few milliseconds
after the station finished CQing. But it is also true that some Skimmers
are using low-noise, directional receiving antennas, and since we're
talking SNR, not raw strength, results will vary.

A far more common source of problems, particularly on the low bands, is
that callers can be mistaken for CQers, if they call near enough to zero
beat, send at approximately the same speed as the CQing station, and
send their callsigns at least twice.  In that case, it's their own
callsigns that are spotted on the same frequency as the real CQer.

With the current Skimmer architecture, there does not seem to be any way
around this, but the CT1BOH filters implemented in ARCluster V6 can help
a lot.  See
<http://64.128.19.154/ArcDocsVer6/UserManual/ArcDx.htm#SetDxFilter> for
details.

73, Pete N4ZR