Topband: [Bulk] Re: tool for install radials

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 9 11:45:56 EST 2014

Cool, never seen one.  A nice tool but probably $25k+.

Another way I've used to install a 6000' long water line is to use a
single blade ripper to pull 200' lengths of 1" PVC using a Kellems grip
(Chinese finger grabber) as shown in the video. We dug a small hole at
the end of each pull for the couplings and feeding in the next section.
I used my ride on Ditch Witch for the rocky sections.

My mid size Deere 4wd tractor  (55hp  PTO) has more than enough pull for
a 1.25" thick ripper down 15" in a pasture.  A medium or larger lawn
tractor would probably pull a 1/4" or 3/8" thick ripper down an inch or
two.    That should work for radials (or small conduits, coax) by
pulling the radial wire from a spool at the central grounding point.  It
shouldn't be too hard to fabricate from steel plate with a hole drilled
near the bottom to tie the wire.  Weld it on to a trailer ball stub to
fit whatever the tractor has a mount. Remove it at the end of each
pull.  Repeat.

Grant KZ1W