Topband: ground radials & conductivity

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Mon Dec 15 11:20:57 EST 2014

Galvanized can be a problem in some soils. This is the reason that galvanized ground rods are no longer recommended in most applications (I think ON4UN even has a pictured of a rotted galvanized ground rod in his book).

Copper-clad steel ground rods are more common and will generally hold up much better in typical soil conditions. I would assume the same would apply to galvanized steel and copper radial wires. I'd be careful using galvanized wire for radials without at first testing it to make sure it would last. It would be a shame to invest time and effort in a radial system just to see it rot away in a few years!

  -Bill KB8WYP