Topband: 8 circle: DXE vs Hi-Z

Greg Zenger n2gz at gregzenger.com
Tue Dec 16 10:40:27 EST 2014

This thread comes at a good time for me, as I am planning an 8 circle array
as we speak.

My installation will be an 84' diameter circle as I intend to us it on both
160 and 80m.  My installation will be in the woods on a rocky hill (New
England glacial moraine). I have found a plateau near the top of the hill
where I can install the elements with all feed points at the same height.
There is no area where I could put a larger spaced array at this location,
and I am willing to trade-off some performance on 160 for coverage of 80m
as well.

I plan to go with the DXE kit, as i have been impressed with DXE products
in the past.

While reviewing the manual for the active receive antennas, I found that
DXE recommends four to twelve radials at least 15 feet long, but no longer
than 20 ft.  I plan to deploy radials around each element due to the rocky
area this array will be installed over, so I know radials will be required.

My question is why the cutoff at 20'?

Another question is would I benefit from a taller vertical element than the
 8.5' whip included with the kit?

73 Greg N2GZ