Topband: Non-resonant receive antennas

JC n4is at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 10:57:02 EST 2014

Milt,

Thanks to share with us your experience during XZ0A. When I started playing
with the HWF I was surprised to hear XU7ACY almost every day between 11:10z
and 11:20z SSW, during 2010 and 2011 , that happened 50% of the day from
October to April.

This kind of propagation I called it TELP, Trans Equatorial Long Path. The
signals arrive from 40 degree elevation mostly horizontal polarized  20
minutes before SR  SSW and 20 minutes after SS SSE. With the HWF I was able
to work south Asia almost in  a daily base when my colleges  nearby only
could hear them few day with vertical polarized antennas.

The reason why I do believe this propagation is around the equatorial line
is due the observation for this kind of propagation from the south
hemisphere. Analyzing several long path QSO's from PY's on 160m, there is a
common point , in all QSO's the signal was arriving near SS or SR coming
from NNW or NNE.

In both cases, from north hemisphere or south hemisphere the signal is
really coming from the equatorial zone. K9LA demonstrated with a ray trace
analyze that the signal refract almost 120 degree at 40 degree angle, you
can check that on K9LA web page.

I think what I experienced with XU, DU and even JA long path SSW  is the
same propagation mechanism you mentioned during XZ0A. Very few
DX-expeditions uses that propagation mode and do not install any RX antenna
to receive SSW and/or  SSE. The XU7ACY extravagance QSO's was due the fact
Perter was active  every day and he installed a SSE /NNW reversible
beverage. DU7ET was using a high inverted V broadside N/S that receives
horizontal SSE. It is hard d to work DU from Florida until Robert installed
that antenna, we worked him Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, and June this year on 160m,
we just missed him during May and I don't know why. By the way  Robert
worked WAS on 160 with that antenna from DU7ET.

73's N4IS
JC