Topband: Recommended Antennas for 160M/80M Receiving

Tim Duffy k3lr at k3lr.com
Sun Dec 21 09:53:48 EST 2014

Hello Mack

My experience:

I have operated 28 years on 160 meters from the same QTH. I started out with
Beverages - which I thought worked great. The 880 foot one aimed at Europe
was amazing. So I thought.

10 years ago I started experimenting with short vertical RX arrays. Passive
elements at first. The comparison between short RX verticals vs. the
Beverage antennas was encouraging.

Four years ago I installed an 8 circle active RX array (23 ft elements) and
never looked back. Two years ago I took down all the Beverages as they were
never better than the 8 circle at this QTH. Last year I added a RX four
square (same layout as the 8 circle, but just with 4 elements) that is
broadside (500 ft spacing to EU) to the 8 circle. With both in phase - now
achieving 15 dB of RDF. The RX is really good!

One additional data point, Frank W3LPL is no longer using Beverages on 160
meters - just his passive BSEF short vertical arrays.

There are many stations the have great RX results on the Topband with
Beverages.

73,
Tim K3LR