Topband: Silver solder

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Dec 30 23:38:52 EST 2014

On 12/30/2014 4:27 PM, Jorge Diez CX6VM wrote:
> Hello
>
> I read about using silver to solder wire radials to terminals

> What we need for our use? Will be ok to use 2%? The difference in price is extremely high!
>
> Thanks,
> Jorge
> CX6VM/CW5W

The key issue is the absence of lead rather than the
presence of silver.  What has traditionally worked is
"STA-BRITE" solder (2% or 3% silver, balance tin) available
at any welding supply shop.  Now you can get lead free
solder for plumbing use, which contains no silver.  There
are also lead free electronic (ROHS) solders.  All of these
have a higher melting point than 63/37 and cost more.
The silver in the STA-BRITE is mainly to reduce the melting
point, rather than to do anything special to the joint.
They should all be fine outdoors, where lead solder "rots"
in the moisture.

A related issue:  we were all lectured never to use acid
core rosin solder on electronic work.  Is it safe to use
acid core plumbing flux for soldering radials, etc.?

Rick N6RK