Topband: Digital mode spurious issues & Ideas for possible resolution

Mike Armstrong armstrmj at aol.com
Thu Jan 2 15:28:12 EST 2014

All..... herein lies THE major problem with putting the digital guys elsewhere.  JT-65 (and others of that ilk) are NOT ragchew modes.  They are really only useful for award chasing since what is sent is pretty much limited to calls, locations and signal strengths.  The guys using these modes (the JT series) aren't having lengthy conversations.  So shuttling them off to places that are used mainly for chewing the rag doesn't do them any good at all.  They are chasing states and DX.

For anyone not familiar with the actual "content" of a JT65 QSO, go to the WSJT web site and take a look.  As I mentioned, the QSO "content" is pretty limited and meant for a specific purpose..... making and confirming a qso...... and that is about it.  I don't want to start a firestorm on ragchewing vs contest-type qsos..... I just wanted to inform those who may be unfamiliar with these modes that their purpose is TRULY dxing and state chasing, for lack of a better way to explain them.

Fair Winds
Mike (AB7ZU)

Kuhi no ka lima, hele no ka maka