Topband: Feeding 160M Vertical on 80M

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 7 01:58:10 EST 2014

Well, sometimes, life is the art of the possible. At the time I was living
in q small duplex on a corner lot and running a bunch of on-ground radials
wasn't an option. Still I was working YBs and DUs etc. on the evening LP on
40m that others weren't even hearing! They'd come up on frequency and send
??? -during and after my qsos. In my experience a vertical 1/2 wave is a
very potent antenna because its high current portion is up 1/4 wavelength
and it's take-off angle is so low for DX work even without that last 1 dB!!
Just like some guy s like to dig in the dirt  and bury thousands of feet of
radials under their inverted Ls when they could do just as well, or better,
with 4 elevated resonant radials. But in the end - "if you believe, no proof
is necessary - if you don't believe, no proof is possible". Some people are
more taken in by popular opinions than by measurements or modeling!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV