Topband: DX-100 adventure contiunued

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Jan 8 13:02:38 EST 2014

> I had used four caps rated at 450 volts/100 uF. They were in two pairs
> series parallel for 100 uF/900 volts. Some hams cautioned me against using
> so much capacitance. So I removed one pair of the caps and ended with 50
> uF at 900 volts. The plate supply remained over 950 Volts until I keyed
> the transmitter when it dropped below 900 volts as might be expected.

There is actually very little difference in HV PS voltage between tubes and
solid state when the supply is choke input.

High vacuum rectifiers have about 10-40 volts anode-cathode potential, so
there isn't much voltage to be gained.

Is this still choke input, and do you have adequate bleeder current?