Topband: Single antenna port xcvr but want to employ separatereceive antenna

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Jan 13 13:37:54 EST 2014

I am nervous as well, Tom...hi Hi
I'm really thinking of employing a separate relay that I control with a
simple switch, vice depending on the rig to switch "correctly"
using a simple switch is antiquated and slow but....for certain I can
control the switch over mo betta AND prevent damage to the low noise
amplifier...>>>>

Everything else pales compared to sequencing.

For example, grounding unused ports is commonly thought to decrease unwanted
coupling. Grounding to improve things assumes unwanted coupling is
capacitive, and assumes there are no ground loops.

Having measured many dozens of switches, grounding does not mean less signal
on unwanted ports. This is particularly true if the chassis or board has
poor groundplane or wiring.

You'd be surprised how many commercial switches are actually worse because
they ground unused contacts. :-)

73 Tom