Topband: Anyone purchased the ARRL book on Short Antennas for 160???

Robert Briggs vk3zl at bigpond.com
Wed Jan 22 00:55:21 EST 2014

I will have to put that book on my wish list..I have been using a short
43 foot high vertical antenna for quite a few years now...It is based on
the Minooka design, A spoked Top Hat with a Loading coil just below the
Hat..I use another inductor series to ground to resonate the antenna and
match into 50 ohms...Bottom coil is 10 turns of 5/8 dia copper tube
1TPI...The Heliax LDF 4/50 is tapped in about 2 turns up from ground and
the mast tapped down a couple of turns to resonate the antenna around
1.825mhz..There are around 40 150 foot and random length radials pinned
to the ground..

I have used this antenna for many years now very successfully..As I only
operate CW the narrow 2-1 vswr points give me about 25khz of operating
bandwidth..I have an inverted V on an 85 foot mast and the short
vertical is 3-8db better on long haul DX average..I only use the V for
receive..

Short verticals work surprisingly well if one puts some thought into
it's construction...

Bob..VK3ZL..