Topband: K6MM helically wound vertical for top band

w9hak w9hak at twc.com
Mon Jan 20 18:38:13 EST 2014

I have been using the HWV for a year now and have
had good results with this antenna. I am located
in southwest Indiana and have worked dx from the
Ukraine to Chile and Europe. My question revolves
around my ground system.  I have two separate
systems, in the summer a single 8' copper coated
ground rod at the base of the antenna into clay
type soil.

In the winter I lay down 9 radials at 126' each
and disconnect the ground rod.  Reviewing the
numbers on the reverse beacon either system gives
the same results.  I tried connecting both systems
together but the bandpass at the 2:1 points was
much narrower, from 1.8 to 1.835 mhz.

   The best results are with the radials attached
to their common buss, located at the base of the
antenna, but NOT to the antenna or ground rod. The
ground rod is only attached to the antenna. The
band width now is from 1.8 to 2.0 mhz with the
vswr at 1:2.1. There is a rise to 1:7.1 at 1.840
mhz but then it drops back down as I move up to
2.0 mhz.

I have confirmed these numbers with my MFJ 259B
and my K3 with the ATU in the bypass mode. The MFJ
reports low reactance, 0 to 16 ohms, and an
antenna resistance from45 ohms to around 68 ohms
across the top band.  I sure would like to know
what is going on with this arrangement.

Smith
W9HAK