Topband: Conductivity of stainless steel hardware

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Sun Jan 26 10:42:52 EST 2014

I've used stainless plenty of times and haven't ever really noticed any problems, but I've never tried to make measurements either. My new vertical matching network I'm building using silicon bronze hardware to bring out the connections but that's mostly just because I can. I don't really expect any practical difference.

Silicon bronze is mostly copper with some silicon added to make it stronger. It's commonly used in the telecom industry for power connections, but its also used in marine construction and high voltage switchgear. It's readily available from hardware suppliers but it costs more than stainless. If you want the best conductivity and corrosion resistance then silicon bronze hardware is probably your best bet.

-Bill

Sent from my iPhone