Topband: Bad tower shunt capacitor

James C. Hall, MD heartdoc at nwtcc.com
Wed Jan 29 19:26:39 EST 2014

I have an omega matched 120 foot tower and I apparently have a bad vacuum variable capacitor. Upon applying more than about 300 watts, the SWR goes off scale. Tuning it out and trying again, yields the same thing.

The question is which capacitor is the culprit. These are surplus Soviet caps obtained from the Ukraine and, as I recall, the larger value capacitor is the parallel one, not the series one. I could buy one of each and switch one at a time and have a spare left over. Any suggestions ?

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

Sent from my iPad