Topband: Short receiving verticals question

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Thu Jan 30 12:55:58 EST 2014

Hi Doug,

A few notes about the short verticals in my 160M passive
receive array. I use them in my W8JI broadside-endfire
passive array described in detail on Tom's home page
and on W5ZN's home page.

Its important to understand that the loss in the radial system
of a 160M passive receive array is of no importance, but
variations in the base impedance of the verticals during
wet and dry weather could affect the pattern of the array.
You don't need many radials, but you do need "enough."

I use eight 65 foot radials under each vertical. Several of my
verticals are in wetlands that flood during wet weather and the
variation in ground conditions under the verticals is unusually
severe. I initially used four radials and found there was nearly
ten ohms change in the resistive component of the feed point
impedance between flooded conditions and extreme dry
ground conditions. Four additional radials solved that problem.

My radials are simply laid on the surface of the ground. While
the deer traffic rearranges the location of the radials, that
doesn't seem the affect the performance of the array. I use
stranded copper wire, solid wire would easily entrap the legs
of the deer.

Dozens of deer inhabit the field where my verticals are located.
I eliminated deer collisions with the umbrella wires by attaching
the ends of bottom ends of the wires to the top of seven foot
fence posts (through a porcelain insulator and short length of
light rope). I've never had a deer collision since.

While some users of short verticals install foundations, I've found
it completely unnecessary with guyed (e.g. top loaded) verticals.
I simply use a two foot length of one inch diameter rebar. The
vertical is attached to a 1.25 inch o.d. aluminum tube that simply
slips over the rebar. Rebar is very inexpensive and easy to install
an remove and especially convenient for temporary installations
like mine

73
Frank
W3LPL