Topband: 8Q7BM on Topband

Björn SM0MDG bjorn at sm0mdg.com
Thu Jan 30 22:30:37 EST 2014

Here is another update from 8Q7BM;

Wednesday evening FT5ZM started so I moved away from 23.7 to 33.7. I was calling from about 1430 and on. Heard OH5KW 579 during the evening and logged VK3EW and A45XR. Other than that it was FT5ZM and their weak pileup heard here.

On Thursday morning I started well ahead of my SR (at Wed 2315). I heard SM, OH, DL and OM stations around 539 in the FT5ZM pileup, but no luck hooking any of them on 33.7.

At 0003 Thursday morning my PSU blew up. Fortunately I brought a spare as I don’t really trust the cheap Asian switch mode supplies. They are handy to carry, but they fail. This is my second of the same brand and model failing. I am now using a small “Gamma HPS-1a” PSU. It is minimalistic and I hope it will take the beating and survives to the end.

Thursday evening there was no activity as we were celebrating my girlfriend's birthday with a many course fine dinner at the fancy hangout on the island.

On Friday morning I heard LA1MFA call CQ and tried unsuccessfully to get though to him. Back on 33.7 LA1U called me a few minutes later and and got logged at 2335. After this nothing heard and nothing worked until my SR.

I will be back tonight again then In my SR tomorrow. Look for me on 1833.7 +/- QRM.

73 de Björn,
SM0MDG
8Q7BM
SE0X