Topband: In search of resonance

Carl Braun Carl.Braun at lairdtech.com
Thu Jan 30 16:40:01 EST 2014

Thanks to all who responded to my post

I will consider all of the ideas that were presented including improving the ground radials. That's a given.

I have an ICE broadcast filter for RX...can this be of any use with the MFJ for analyzing the antenna?

Shall I drop the 40m verticals or open them at the base to see if any readings change?

The good news is the end of the L is run through a pulley attached to a 70' palm tree.  I'll lower the end of the wire down and fold it back a few feet until I can get something to resonate. Stay tuned (pun intended).

What's strange is that I had a version of this L up before with 2 temp radials lying on the ground.  I used a REYCO trap at 67' and ran the rest of the L up 20' to the top of the tower and then out 15 to 20 ft.  The REYCO trap has some inductance but the whole 160 portion wasn't much over 100' and the thing resonated on 80 too. The vertical portion was much closer to the tower than it is now...maybe 15-18" instead of 36" now.  My Reyco trap has since bit the dust and Unadilla isn't making any more for at least another month.

I'll post some results later after folding back some wire.

Tnx again

Carl AG6X